Beyond the need for greater efforts to reduce the excessive accumulation of arms, it remains essential that States ensure effective physical security and management of their stockpiles.
In January 2019, the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD) and The United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) launched a technical assistance mechanism entitled Ammunition Management Advisory Team (AMAT) to support States in ammunition management in accordance with the International Ammunition Technical Guidelines (IATG).
AMAT is anchored at the GICHD and partners with United Nations SaferGuard Programme, implementing the GICHD's Strategy and UN Secretary-General’s Agenda for Disarmament.
AMAT’s is guided by an Advisory Council comprising States and international, regional and non-governmental partners.
To enhance State and regional action on safe and secure management of ammunition with a view to reducing the risk of unintended explosions and diversion to the illicit market.
Mode of Operation
Governance & Partners
- International Ammunition Technical Guidelines
- UN SaferGuard Implementation Support Toolkit for the IATG
- A Guide to Developing National Standards for Ammunition Management
- Utilising the IATG in Conflict-Affected and Low-Capacity Environments
- Critical Path Guide to the International Ammunition Technical Guidelines