Beyond the need for greater efforts to reduce the excessive accumulation of arms, it remains essential that States ensure effective physical security and management of their stockpiles.
To enhance State and regional action on safe and secure management of ammunition with a view to reducing the risk of unintended explosions and diversion to the illicit market, by supporting States with technical advice and transfer of knowledge, and by facilitating effective and sustainable international cooperation and assistance.
Mode of Operation
Governance and Budget
Useful links and resources
- Draft AMAT Strategy 2019-2022
- UN Secretary General’s Agenda for Disarmament “Securing Our Common Future” (2018)
- GICHD Strategy 2019-2022
- International Ammunition Technical Guidelines
- UN SaferGuard Implementation Support Toolkit for the IATG
- A Guide to Developing National Standards for Ammunition Management
- Utilising the IATG in Conflict-Affected and Low-Capacity Environments
- Critical Path Guide to the International Ammunition Technical Guidelines